Sunday, May 18, 2014

Persian inspired bread pudding

The moment I smelled the Iranian Saffron at the spice souk in Dubai, I knew that it was a class above the more commonly used spanish saffron. The scent was a lot more pronounced and I could not resist purchasing a small box which was wrapped like a precious gift . Well Saffron IS one of the most precious spices available ! The aroma it released after baking was well worth the price I paid for it.

I wanted to make something sweet with this iranian saffron and I thought of a bread pudding - Persian style. I have made the pakistani shahi tukra before ( toasted bread slices soaked in syrup and served with cream and nuts ). I took that as my base and then allowed my imagination to run free. The end result was a delicately saffron flavoured bread pudding served hot. Well worth the effort !



INGREDIENTS

Bread slices (Around 8-9 slices)
2 cups of full cream milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup of sugar
Pinch of Saffron
A little bit of oil or melted ghee to toast the bread

Optional : Malai - (milk boiled an reduced into thick cream)


METHOD :

Heat oven to 375 F
Brush bread slices with oil or melted ghee and toast in a pan or oven until golden brown on both sides
Whisk eggs in milk, add sugar and saffron strands. Let stand for 15 mins
Arrange bread slices in a greased pan
Pour custard mix on top and allow to rest for 5 mins
Bake in oven for 20-25 mins

Serve hot with nuts and cream





No comments:

Post a Comment